Position for Mechanical Product Engineer
Position: Mechanical Product Engineer
Company: SouthWestSensor Ltd
Location: Southampton, UK
Job Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Chief technology officer
Compensation Package: £25K – £35K based on experience
Closing Date: Monday 5 August
SouthWestSensor (SWS) is an exciting University of Southampton start-up company which is developing advanced portable/wearable chemical sensor products for continuous monitoring of biochemical markers in environmental and healthcare applications. We are expanding quickly and are looking for energetic experienced professionals or talented graduates to join us. We provide you with the best opportunity to expand your skills and make a success of your career by providing a professional, challenging and exciting environment.
We are committed to excellence in our people as well as our technology. This is reflected in our core principles:
- To be an equal opportunities employer. We look for the values and strengths in all people and we seek to encourage them to grow and develop.
- We realise that good teams are more than the sum of their parts, working together as a team is a real competitive advantage and one the company is committed to maintain. We all work to display the kinds of behaviours that foster great team work.
- We aspire to be the best that we can be. This means that every individual is expected to contribute to their own development and to help others develop where they can. It also means that we hold ourselves up to the highest standards in everything we do.
About the role
Purpose of the role
The purpose of the role is to develop mechanical components and systems for the company’s and our customers’ products. You will have overall responsibility for the design and development of new products from initial concept through to production. Day to day responsibilities will primarily be:
- Requirements capture for new products
- Development of mechanical concepts using sketches, prototyping and 3D CAD
- Prototyping of concepts using machining and micromachining, rapid prototyping and off-the-shelf components
- Collaboration with internal electronics, software, chemist teams and external consultancies
- Sourcing, liaison and implementation of manufacturing strategy using external manufacturers
- Preparation of 2D/3D production data packs
- Ensuring product compliance with CE and FCC regulations, including EMC testing, RoHS compliance and other legislation as applicable
- Fabrication of test and calibration rigs in the workshop
- Design of ancillary materials including packaging, labelling, technical manuals, assembly documentation
As the product design and engineer you will be responsible for championing best practice throughout the entire product development process.
Ideally you will have the following background:
- University degree educated in mechanical engineering or related subjects
- Passion to invent, design and fabricate products
- Strong CAD background, e.g. Solidworks, Autocad etc.
- Previous industrial experience in developing products to market, ideally in start-ups or spin-outs
- Experience in the areas of either sensors or medical devices
- Or experience in fluidics / microfluidics
- Experience working with local or international manufacturers
- Experience working in group environments on multidisciplinary projects; must be a team player;
- Flexible and open-minded start-up company mindset: , creative with innovative ideas, can-do attitude, whilst being able to challenge and be challenged.
- Self-motivated and able to work without daily super-vision;
Basic salary: The Company will pay pension, a competitive salary and private health care insurance based on the experience of the successful candidate.
The standard holiday allowance for all employees is 20+3 days annual leave in addition to the statutory bank holidays
Hours of work:
The role is based on a standard 37 ½ hour week. The company will consider flexible working patterns within the operational requirements of the role.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and CV, or your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org