Electronic Engineer – Hardware and Embedded Software
Company: SouthWestSensor Ltd
Location: Southampton, UK
Job Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Chief Technology Officer
Compensation Package: £26K – £40K based on experience
Closing date: Monday 5 August 2019
SouthWestSensor (SWS) is an exciting University of Southampton start-up company which is developing advanced wearable/portable chemical sensor products for continuous monitoring of biochemical markers in environmental and healthcare applications. We are expanding quickly and are looking for energetic experienced professionals or talented graduates to join us. We provide you with the best opportunity to expand your skills and make a success of your career by providing a professional, challenging and exciting environment.
We are committed to excellence in our people as well as our technology. This is reflected in our core principles:
- As an equal opportunities employer, we look for the values and strengths in all people and we seek to encourage them to grow and develop.
- Encourages recent graduates to apply
- We realise that good teams are more than the sum of their parts, working together as a team is a real competitive advantage and one the company is committed to maintain. We all work to display the kinds of behaviours that foster great team work.
- We aspire to be the best that we can be. This means that every individual is expected to contribute to their own development and to help others develop where they can. It also means that we hold ourselves up to the highest standards in everything we do.
About the role
The candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing high-quality electronics circuits and wireless communication systems based on current late-stage prototypes. The work will include low-energy and small-footprint circuit design, fast prototyping, product fabrication, testing and debugging. Embedded programming for a stable and robust firmware is also required. This is all in the context of completing the companies first sensor product and drive the wider development of pipeline products for both environmental and healthcare applications.
- Design, implementation, integration and verification of high-quality electronic and embedded system based on microcontrollers, wireless communication technologies and optical/electrochemical sensors
- Establish a test bed for performance evaluation and long-term testing
- Electronics circuit design including circuit schematic design, PCB layout, fast prototyping and debugging;
- Embedded firmware development for the microcontroller based products;
- Undertake fabrication, prototyping, testing and trial development.
- Liaise with a network of experience service providers
- Ensure timely delivery of project deliverables
- On-time provision of documentation as required for CE marking of final product
Degree in Electronics, Physics, or equivalent
Relevant experience in electronics design for microcontroller based applications, ideally in a medical or point-of-care setting.
Ability to generate high quality embedded firmware written in C for the microcontroller based product.
Experience with using EDA tools for schematic design, PCB layout and circuit simulation.
Familiar with electronic test equipment, such as vector network analyser, oscilloscope, spectrum analyser, etc.
Ability to build up a test bed for product evaluation.
Experience working in group environments on multidisciplinary projects; must be a team player.
Flexible and open-minded start-up company mindset: creative with innovative ideas, can-do attitude, whilst being able to challenge and be challenged.
Self-motivated and able to work without daily super-vision.
Communicating and presenting technical information to individuals of non-scientific backgrounds; ability to produce quality documentation on time.
Experience in development based on TI’s microcontroller products.
Experience in design and implement for wireless communication system, such as RFID, ZigBee, Bluetooth, etc. Experience in Wearable electronics; Industrial experience, ideally in start-ups or spin-outs.
Experience operating in Quality Management Systems such as ISO13485, 9001 or similar.
Experience in product development.
Basic salary: The Company will pay pension and a competitive salary and private health care insurance based on the experience of the successful candidate.
The standard holiday allowance for all employees is 20+3 days annual leave in addition to the statutory bank holidays
Hours of work:
The role is based on a standard 37 ½ hour week. The company will consider flexible working patterns within the operational requirements of the role.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and CV, or your enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org