Electronic Engineer – Hardware and Embedded Software
Position: Electronic Engineer – Hardware and Embedded Software
Company: SouthWestSensor Ltd
Location: Southampton, UK
Job Type: Permanent
Reporting to: Chief technology officer
Compensation Package: £30K – £40K based on experience
SouthWestSensor (SWS) is a start-up company which develop advanced wearable/portable chemical sensor technologies and products for point-of-care diagnostics and monitoring in healthcare and environmental applications. We are expanding fast and looking for energetic experienced professionals or talented graduates to join us. We provide you with the best opportunity to expand your skills and make a success of your career in a professional, challenging and exciting environment.
We are committed to excellence in our people as well as our technology. We follow the principles:
About the role:
The candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing high quality electronics circuit and wireless communication system based on current prototypes. The work will include low energy and small footprint circuit design, fast prototyping, product fabrication, testing and debugging. Embedded programming for a stable and robust firmware is also required.
* Design, implementation, integration and verification of high quality electronic and embedded system based on microcontrollers, wireless communication technologies and optical/electrochemical sensors;
* Establish a test bed for performance evaluation and long-term testing;
* Electronics circuit design including circuit schematic design, PCB layout, fast prototyping and debugging;
* Embedded firmware development for the microcontroller based products;
* Undertake fabrication, prototyping, testing and trial development.
* Degree in Electronics, Physics, or equivalent;
* Relevant experience in electronics design for microcontroller based applications, ideally in a medical or point-of-care setting;
* Ability to generate high quality embedded firmware written in C for the microcontroller based product;
* Experience with using EDA tools for schematic design, PCB layout and circuit simulation;
* Familiar with electronic test equipment, such as vector network analyser, oscilloscope, spectrum analyser, etc.;
* Ability to build up a test bed for product evaluation;
* Experience working in group environments on multidisciplinary projects;
* Communicating and presenting technical information to individuals of non-scientific backgrounds; ability to produce quality documentation;
* Flexible and open-minded, creative with innovative ideas, can-do attitude, whilst being able to challenge and be challenged.
* Experience in Wearable electronics;
* Experience in development based on TI’s microcontroller products;
* Experience in design and implement for wireless communication system, such as RFID, ZigBee, Bluetooth, etc.
* Experience with 13485 or similar
The Company will provide pension and pay a competitive salary based on the experience of the successful candidate.
The standard holiday allowance for all employees is 25 days annual leave in addition to the statutory bank holidays
Hours of work:
The role is based on a standard 37 ½ hour week. The company will consider flexible working patterns within the operational requirements of the role.